electrician in Ellicott City - Tim Kyle

Shocks When Turning on the Light Switch

Sometimes you drag your feet across the carpet, and when you touch the light switch, you get a little shock. That’s a normal situation. However, if you get shocked from touching a light switch without reason, have an electrician in Ellicott City assess your electrical system. Learn more about the causes of electrical shocks and when to call the professionals.

Causes of Light Switch Shocks

Static electricity can build up and you can get a shock from touching anything you touch, even a light switch. You might also brush the switch with a certain fabric that has static built up within it. However, if you get an electrical discharge from a switch, it could also be a sign of faulty wires or other electrical issues. Any electrical shocks should be taken seriously. A recurring electrical discharge could signify faulty wiring or fixtures. Or your outlets and fixtures may be outdated. A fixture doesn’t have to be damaged to emit electrical shock. It can happen from just being old! In addition, faulty appliances don’t always channel electricity as well as they used to.

If you continue to receive a shock, tape off a possibly damaged or improperly wired switch with masking tape to avoid contact with the affected surface. Also, note any visible damage or missing parts of the fixture before you cover it so you can report that to an electrician.

Call an Electrician in Ellicott City

For any concerns with your electrical system, contact the professionals at Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling. Our residential electrical services will take all of the stress out of powering your home. Let our experts work with you on any project. We guarantee that you’ll be satisfied with the process from start to finish!

Share this post

Skip to content