If you have been spending a lot of your money paying energy bills, then it may be time to adopt a few energy saving tips in the new year. You may be wasting electricity without realizing it! Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling, providing residential electrical service in Thurmont, MD, suggests taking the following measures to save electricity in 2019.
Ways to Save Electricity
- Unplug appliances when not in use. If appliances are plugged in, then they will consume electricity regardless of whether they are on or off. Most people, for example, plug in their toaster ovens and coffee makers all day long. This could be a waste of energy because the appliance is only used a few times a day.
- Close the refrigerator door. It is wise to think about what you want to get from the fridge before opening the door. Keeping the door open is a waste of energy as the light stays on and the cold air escapes.
- Turn the lights off. Leaving your lights on is one of the most obvious ways to waste electricity. Fortunately, it is easy to fix! Turn lights off every time you leave a room. If you have a habit of leaving the lights on, then use a smart home system to monitor the lights from your phone.
- Unplug empty freezer chests. An extra freezer is a great way to store your food. However, powering it when it is empty may be wasting energy, so make sure to unplug it when it’s not in use.
- Only run a full dishwasher. On average, a dishwasher may use up 1800 watts of electricity. You should, therefore, avoid running it more often than necessary. Run it only when it is full.
- Buy green products to save big. You can save electricity by using natural sources of light, using energy-saving bulbs, and invesing in energy-saving appliances.
Schedule an Energy Audit
Learn about more ways to save this New Year by calling Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling and scheduling an energy audit. By examining your appliances, fixtures and other energy-hungry electrical sources in your home, we can help develop a strategy to save you a little money every month on your energy bills AND help reduce your carbon footprint. It’s all about green – being it and saving it.