electrical outlets - Tim Kyle

Electrical Outlets May House Insects

Did you know that bugs can get in and out of the tiniest of cracks in your home? This includes your home’s electrical outlets! Once inside, if they discover a source of food and water, they will multiply anywhere. So how did the insects get there, why did they go there, and what can you do about it?

Bugs Inside Your Electrical Outlets

Wasps, termites, fire ants, and bed bugs love hiding in dark, out-of-sight places. This is why your electrical outlet is an ideal residence. Tight places like these make them feel secure and safe. However, this can quickly become problematic. Besides the fact that many people aren’t fond of bugs, to say the least, insects will leave carcasses, tracked-in residue, and waste behind. By doing so, they contribute to the corrosion of circuit boards and electrical contacts. They can also chew wiring and cause circuits to short.

How Can I Safely Get Rid of Any Bugs That Are in My Outlets?

If you discover there is an infestation of insects in your outlets, do not poke around or spray pesticides directly into the outlet. This will result in even more damage to the electrical system and perhaps even to yourself. Do your best to assess the extent of the bug infestation and think carefully about a suitable method of getting rid of the bugs. One possible solution for a minor infestation is to use dust boric acid and apply it on the outlet cover.

Unfortunately, a severe infestation first requires the services of professional pest control to remove the bugs and prevent them from returning. Once you have the bug situation under control, call your residential electrical company to assess your outlets for any damage and to possibly rewire.

At Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling, no job is too small. We give 100% to every light bulb change, just as we do to a remodeling or rewiring project. If you are in need of a residential electrical company in Howard County, Maryland or the greater Baltimore area, contact us today. We can inspect your electrical outlets for any insects and make sure your wiring has not been damaged.

Share this post

Skip to content