burnt outlet - Tim Kyle

What Causes a Burnt Outlet?

When it comes to avoiding electrical injuries, prevention is key. A homeowner should regularly inspect electrical outlets for faulty wiring or other issues. If you notice a burnt outlet, it’s time to call an electrician in Cockeysville. You shouldn’t attempt to fix electrical problems yourself without proper experience and knowledge as the results could be hazardous.

What to Do If You Spot a Burnt Outlet

When all the parts of the electrical outlet are connected properly, electricity can flow normally and everything works fine. However, if parts become loose or wiring is faulty, electric flow is interrupted. This causes arcing, which means the outlet overheats. This overheating will cause the plastic around the outlet to melt. Overheating can also be caused by an overloaded outlet. Faulty wiring from incorrect wire size or worn out wires, can also cause a burnt outlet.

Because a burnt outlet is a sign of serious trouble, you need to take immediate action. Ignoring the problem could lead to a fire. The first thing you must do is cut the power to the outlet by flipping the breaker for that area. The repair could be rather straightforward if you find screws are loose. However, if the wiring appears to be damaged, you’ll need to call a professional. Replacing the outlet without correcting the wiring issues will lead to another burnt outlet. If the problem isn’t solved promptly, a fire could result.

Call Us for Your Electrical Needs

Electricity is serious business. One wrong move could have disastrous results. That is why you need an electrician in Cockeysville who knows the ins and outs of electricity and how all the components work together. When you entrust your electrical needs to the professionals at Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling, you can be confident you’re getting the best in the business. If you discover a burnt outlet or other electrical problems, don’t hesitate to call Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling.

Share this post

Skip to content