Children are naturally curious. There is a lot to explore and learn, which is a reason why kids need to learn about electrical safety at a young age. Electricity has the power to cause burns, brain damage, organ damage, and even death. Protect your family by teaching electrical safety.
Electrical Safety Rules
Here are some electrical safety rules from Alliant Energy:
- Watch out for powerlines. Never fly kites, drones, or climb trees near them. Also, do not climb on power poles or fences around electrical substations.
- Keep anything electrical out of the water.
- Don’t stick anything in an outlet and don’t plug a bunch of cords in one outlet or extension cord.
- Don’t remove a plug by the cord.
- Stay away from fallen powerlines and get an adult to help if you see downed wires.
If an electrical accident does occur, be sure to teach children to take the following steps:
- Do not touch the victim because you might get shocked too.
- Find an adult right away.
- Turn off or unplug the circuit.
- Call 911 and be sure to tell the operator that someone has been involved in an electrical accident.
If a person receives even a mild shock, always see your doctor or go to the emergency room.
For more tips on electrical safety, contact Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling. As an electrician in Towson, your family’s safety is our top priority. While we are located centrally in Carroll County, we also serve the surrounding counties in Maryland. Our residential electrical services will take all of the stress out of powering your home. Let our experts work with you on any project and we guarantee that you’ll be satisfied with the process from start to finish!