malfunctioning appliances - Tim Kyle

Malfunctioning Appliances Might Damage Your Electrical System

All good things – in this case, appliances – come to an end at some point, and when they do, you need to know the signs. Appliances that are beyond repair can cause your electric bill to skyrocket. Even worse, malfunctioning appliances can send surges through your electrical system, thus causing serious damage or fires. So, before you reach the point of no return, inspect and replace your malfunctioning appliances.

The Damage That Malfunctioning Appliances Can Cause

When you have one faulty appliance, you may be asking yourself: what’s the worst that can happen? Ultimately, there’s a lot that can go wrong. A sudden surge or burst of electricity can cause a circuit breaker to cut off the flow of electricity or “trip” to prevent your circuits from overheating and sustaining severe damage. A faulty appliance can cause electrical surges, physical damage, and fire damage.

Surge Damage

Surge damage occurs when an excess amount of power is sent through the electrical system in your home. Common household appliances, such as refrigerators, stoves, and air conditioners, use a substantial amount of energy, which sends surges of energy to other appliances and devices on the same circuit. The problem occurs when malfunctioning appliances overhaul the circuit by releasing too much energy. These energy surges are powerful and can destroy other appliances instantly or shorten its lifespan tremendously.

Physical Damage

Powerful electric surges can burn and scorch many electrical components, especially electrical outlets and light switches. When you replace appliances that cannot be repaired, melted plastic from the incident may be left behind. It only takes a few seconds for electrical sparks to damage appliances and their surroundings.

Fire Damage

Malfunctioning appliances can cause electricity to short out, which increases the risk of a fire. Fires can quickly expand and grow out of control, the dangers of which should be obvious.

How Can You Avoid Damage to Your Electronics?

To protect your appliances and other electronics, every homeowner should invest in point-of-use and whole-house surge protectors. Point-of-use surge protectors are standard extension cords that connect directly to an appliance or electrical device. Whole-house surge protectors connect to your home’s primary electrical panel that protects all the electric devices and appliances in your home. It’s best to consult an electrician to help you understand your options.

Are you looking for residential electrical service in Frederick County, MD? At Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling, your family’s safety is our priority. We specialize in a variety of residential electrical services, including panel upgrades, emergency standby power, repairs and rewiring, and other residential electrical services.

Share this post

Skip to content