The temperature outside is dropping, but you still need to warm up your home. If you are looking to buy and use a space heater, call a White Marsh electrician to choose the right one. Also, remember there are some risks involved with improper use of this appliance, so use it carefully.
Space Heater Safety
One risk of using a space heater for supplemental heating is carbon monoxide poisoning. This can occur if you fail to take proper precautions, like keeping the heater away from any flammable objects. Another risk comes from fire, which can result from using a space heater that is not in good working order or isn’t placed in the right area. If you want to stay warm without harm follow these space heater safety tips:
- Stay in the room when a space heater is in use. It is meant to heat a small space, and it can be easily knocked over. If you need to leave the room, make sure the device is turned off or unplugged before you go.
- Keep it away from anything flammable. If possible, place the heater on a hard, non-flammable surface such as a tile floor instead of carpeting. Don’t place furniture or other items on top of the heater and keep them at least three feet away. Make sure you don’t block the heater’s vents and place the appliance in a well-ventilated area.
- Keep an eye on children if they are in the same room with a space heater. Don’t leave children unsupervised when the space heater is in use. Also, teach your kids never to touch or play with hot appliances.
- Know how to properly use the appliance. Before using a heater, read all of the instructions and warning labels that come with it carefully. Also, know how to turn off the unit if there is a malfunction or an emergency.
- Plug it into an outlet equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter. This will help protect you from shock by shutting off the power if someone becomes wet or comes in contact with something conducting electricity.
Contact the Best White Marsh Electrician
If you have any questions regarding space heater safety, contact us at Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling. We offer 24/7 electrical service to the greater Baltimore area and neighboring counties in Pennsylvania. Your family’s safety is our top priority.