Electrical outlets do not last forever. At some point, the outlet will wear out, and you will need to replace it. Broken outlets can cause safety hazards such as a fire, so it’s a good idea to fix the problem immediately. Here a few signs to look for.
Signs of Broken Electrical Outlets
When you plug into the outlet and sparks fly or there is a popping sound, this is a sign that something is not right. Stop using the outlet immediately.
Plugs Fall Out
When the plug falls out, this likely means the outlet is worn out. This also usually means there are other issues that need to be addressed.
If you place your hand on the outlet and it feels hot, this is a serious issue that needs to addressed right away. There can be fire sparking behind the outlet, and it also suggests bad wiring.
If there are cracks on the outlet, avoid using it. Cracks are caused by overheating that makes the plastic expand. Even if the crack is small, play it safe and do not use that outlet until it is fixed.
Scorch marks are discoloration on the outlet that are usually light brown in color. This is a sign there is overheating in the outlet and that an electrical fire could occur.
If the scent of something burning is coming from the outlet, then this is a sign there is loose wiring.
Once you’ve identified that you have a broken outlet, discontinue using it and turn off the breaker to this circuit. Never attempt to fix these issues on your own. Broken outlets are a serious issue. Contact Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling, Hanover PA electrician, and we can take care of the problem for you. We offer repairs and rewiring along with kitchen lighting, security lighting, panel upgrades, and more! Contact us today for more information. Your family’s safety is our priority.