Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, invisible gas that you can’t really even smell. It’s a danger to any homeowner when it comes into the house, but you can fight that danger with carbon monoxide detectors. These detectors can prevent poisoning, illness, and even death. Even if you have detectors in your home right now, you may not have enough. Plus, you may not know, but these detectors can expire. Here are some tips from a Woodsboro electrician to help you keep your carbon monoxide detectors in working order.
When to Replace Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Check the expiration date on carbon monoxide detectors. Nothing lasts forever and detectors do have an expiration date on them. That date will usually be on the back of the unit. Perhaps write that date on your calendar and replace the detector before it gets too old.
Most manufacturers will say that their detectors are good for 10 years, however experts recommend replacing the unit every 5-7 years, even if the expiration date is farther out. In reality, your family is too precious to take any risks, and if you can prevent something horrible from happening, you should.
Just like smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors need to have their batteries changed every 6 months. When you change your clock for daylight savings, change the batteries in all of those detectors as well. If your detector is hardwired, make sure you test and replace the backup batteries regularly.
Keep the detector clean by wiping it down a few times a year. You want it to be able to sense properly, and that means it shouldn’t be clogged up. In addition, test your carbon monoxide detector once a month so you can ensure it’s in working order. Pick a certain day of the month and mark the calendar so you don’t forget. Detectors can go out before they should so it’s best to be certain they work well.
Contact a Woodsboro Electrician
If you want help installing carbon monoxide detectors, or you need more advice for keeping what you have in working order, call Tim Kyle Electric, Heating & Cooling. We can check to ensure your home has enough detectors in working order.